Employment on the Spectrum.

Is it harder to find work when you are on the spectrum?

The Answer It Must Be! A shocking 15% of all autistic people in the UK are in full time work and only 9% in Part Time Work. Now compare that combined total of 24% to the 31% of all disabled people in the world. 7% to some that may not be a lot but when you are trying to find work in a world where people aren’t so accepting of difference that 7% may as well be 70%.

53% of that 24% are not getting the support they need. In Northern Ireland. I know of only one scheme that helps people specifically on the spectrum find work. Its called Specialist Sterne. But heres my question to you. Why is this the only facility that i can find to help people on the spectrum. My theory is that those money grabbing monkeys that we call politicians who we elected into these positions of power. So we can change that. Ok im getting off topic I’ll explain more about that in my next post. But back to what I was saying. They don’t care about us because they cut off all our vital resources which can help people in the spectrum. Only for them to raise prices and taxes and the age at which we will retire so they can continue to line their pockets making us believe it is for the greater good. What Good is it raising the retirement age if we cannot get people into jobs in the first place.

From my previous posts you’ll have guessed my font of resources includes many newspaper articles. But this article in the guardian about Autistic Workers who are loyal yet being ignored. Autism is not a barrier to employment its the flippant ignorance of some people that is the barrier to employment. Im not usually easily annoyed but thats one thing that makes my blood boil.

Now ignorance is not the only difficulty people face. If you are on the spectrum and in work you will most likely have issues with.

  • Social Interaction
  • Emotional Reciprocation
  • Flexibility
  • Forward thinking
  • Abstract Thought
  • Establishing Relationships

All these barriers they allow employers to look past every little good quality autism brings to a person, each new perspective the focused eye for detail. Every little unique quality which makes an autistic person so Amazing.

Jane Asher you wonderful woman I wholeheartedly agree with you when you say that Autistic people make the better employees than those known to the autism world as Neuro-Typicals.

Yes we are different but that does not mean to say we are charity cases, We are far from it. Employ someone on the spectrum and you will have the most loyal talented employee with an unique set of gifts.

They say what is good for the goose, is good for the gander. The same rule applies to autism. What is good for Autism is good for Neuro-typicals. i.e. Communication is a common barrier for those on the spectrum but couldn’t we all learn to improve our communication skills.

Autism is a valuable asset to any business or organisation. Lets Break Down Ignorance & Get Autists working.

Advertisements

Author: JustoneAutisticGirl

My About for 2016. Tada! LOL I am JOAG, Joag is a fictional character I created to help me write about Autism. JOAG is an acronym for Just One Autistic Girl. JOAG is a unique individual with a passion for autism. Now this year I am taking the blog a step further. Joag is creating a website. Not Just any website A web forum based on autism. creating a safe place for those on the spectrum. In my blog I tell personal stories my personal stories not some fictitious nonsense I make up to make my blog seem more relevant to you. Now I want a personal goal for me. I want to do something for me. Each day I want to be inspiring I am going to run 2 miles everyday. 2 Miles a day times 365 days. 730 Miles is doable and it’s a good start for someone just getting started. But my goal for the blog and site this year is the intervention for bullying. I don't have a stat yet for the number of people in the world with autism. But we do know that it touches 2.8 mil people a day How many people are bullied on the spectrum? How many are silent sufferers? How long will we let this go on?

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s